Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Blog Take Aways

There are pros and cons to private and public blogs. Private blogs provide just what they imply, safety and security for those young minds for whom we are responsible. However, public blogs provide what the private blog cannot- a tremendous audience. Blogging, in its truest form, is a way to collaborate, discuss, and relate information. In order to make the experience more authentic complete privacy cannot be.

I have used student blogs before. When I taught 6th grade I created student accounts for my language arts class on kidblog.org. I used this particular tool because it was the only one I found that was not blocked by our school. The students were so excited to put their thoughts online and have other classmates comment on their posts. Motivation was high! I also used blogspot.com as more of a CMS for my science and language arts classes. Mostly it was a warehouse for links and videos that I deemed appropriate for students to use.

Blogging with students can be spectacular! I think that students have to be taught how to blog and comment prior to getting into the online environment. Also, it is best if the blogging is as natural as possible. I realize that some students will not do anything unless they are forced and it is graded, but hopefully with the right motivation, a safe and respectful classroom environment, and quality questions, students will want to participate.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Motivation was high due to students being excited about seeing what they have say in PRINT. It validates their point of view. ( sometimes they just need that!!)

    Being TAUGHT how to blog is an important tool that needs to be part of some curriculum. It will become part of the "natural realm" of society soon.
    Kids need to be taught at an early age the proper way!

    ReplyDelete