Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Reflections on Day 4 of LTMS600-03

Can I say my brain is full!!!
Loads of good stuff was presented today.
Instructables was intriguing. Because much of the subject matter in my class is hands on and active learning, I can see this tool being used as a mini-demonstration for a refresher of a technique previously taught or for students to review if absent. It could also be used as an independent activity for advanced or speedy students to explore while waiting for other students to finish a class activity.
The various timeline tools such as Dipity, XTimeline, and Timetoast have possibilities in my classroom. I have wanted to set up a class timeline for years, but the set-up time deterred me. I am exploring the idea of requiring each student to post 2 finds to a class-created timeline and allow the timeline to constantly be edited and updated so they could see the evolution of events and products in the field of FCS. Examples could include: when did Home Ec change to Family & Consumer Science, the first credit card, the first TV dinner, the first cake mix, coupons, rebates, the sewing machine, the dishwasher, the microwave, etc. etc. etc. Imagine the class discussions that could stem from why these inventions and products evolved...convenience, cost, time periods (during wars, women went to work), dual income families, less time to spend in kitchen, family dynamics, and today we are slowly seeing a shift back to more home cooking due to the economy...the topics of conversation are endless. These could be turned into blogs. I also would like to challenge my students to create a future invention, service, tool or product that families or individuals might need and where they would place it on the timeline of the year 2010. This activity would certainly blend several disciplines together (history, science, sociology, reading), not to mention I believe it would address quite a few rungs on Bloom's ladder.
I also liked and plan to explore and use Wordle, Edmodo, Wallwisher and Dabbleboard.
Do I have unanswered questions in regard to using these tools? That would be a resounding Yes, but I must say I am starting to gain a little bit of confidence with my ability to move around within these various web tool sites. I am not as afraid to explore as I was the first day of class and I can always ask my colleagues for help and advice.
Today was my favorite day of this class so far. I appreciated the time spent exploring web tools of our choice and sharing our discoveries. Extremely helpful.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the time to explore today. It's hoped that you're now feeling a little more comfortable to explore on your own. There sure are lots of tools to explore, aren't there?

    ReplyDelete